Beware the Colorado Liquor License Underage Sting
The Key to passing a Colorado Underage Sting:
CHECK IDs, CHECK IDs, CHECK IDs!!
Acceptable forms of ID:
- Any CURRENT state issued Drivers License or ID card with a photo.
- Military Identification
- Alien Registration card
- Foreign Drivers License
- Mexican Drivers license
- Canadian Drivers license
- United States Territory Drivers License
- I.N.S. Employment Authorization Card
- All must be valid (NOT EXPIRED) and have a photo.
It is a GOOD POLICY to keep an I.D. Checking Guide at the point of sale. Also, TIPS training, if not required by your local licensing authority, is essential for every Colorado liquor licensed establishment in my opinion. If you use an ID scanner, beware that fake IDs are increasingly sophisticated and have been known to appear valid to a scanner.
The consequences for underage service in Colorado are very real for the person serving and the establishment:
- Criminal: class two misdemeanor 3 to 12 months jail and/or $250 to $1000.00 fine or both.
- Administrative: suspension or revocation of license and/or $200 to $5000 fine.
If you have received a Colorado Liquor Violation, don’t panic, give us a call. We’ll help.
Colorado Beverage Lawyers of LaszloLaw
Our Colorado beverage lawyers assist startup Colorado breweries by addressing their needs throughout the startup process and continuing to provide guidance as they grow. Contact the Colorado beverage lawyers at LaszloLaw today to discuss your brewery’s needs.
Originally Published March, 2016. Updated January, 2019.